Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Carmen

     This is just a short little story I thought of, and then just began writing whatever came to me. Maybe I will continue it? I don't really know yet. But anyways, here it is!
                                       ------------------------------------------------------------
     I feel water being poured on my face. Wait, why is water being poured on my face? I jolt up from my bed and look in front of me and see a grinning Catherine.
     "What is wrong with you!" I glance at the clock. It's 2:30 A.M. How did Catherine get in my house?  "And why is it so early? How did you even get in the house?"
    "Carmen, you ask way too many questions. Many things are wrong with everyone, that's life. It's so early because that's just how time works. And you gave me house keys, remember?" She dangles keys in her hands, whilst still grinning, her green eyes sparkling.
       Catherine is my best friend (well, only friend) since the sixth grade. Ever since I began to get teased for being freakishly pale with the whitest hair and darkest blue eyes you could imagine, Catherine has always stuck up for me. She's the only person who ever has. And now that were in 10th grade, everyone has there own 'groups' and no one let's anyone else join them. So it's me and Cath forever I guess.
      I groan and turn on the lamp next to my bed, then scream quickly before she clamps my mouth shut with her hand and and points upstair to where my parents are sleeping.
     "Why are you holding that?!" I say in a loud whisper so no one hears us. I point my index finger at a Ouija board that she's holding. She should know by now that I utterly despise the very thought of spirits. She giggles and says,
      "Remember that bet you lost where we said the loser had to do whatever the winner wants?"
    Oh, that bet.
      "And this is what you chose?"
      "Yep."
     I get out of bed and throw my now wet dyed black hair into a knot and put on my glasses.
    "Fine. But definitely not in this household," I shudder, "I don't want to be possessed."
     "One step ahead of you love, you and I are going to that abandoned warehouse by the shops."
     Knowing Catherine, she's not going to give up what she says, so I go with it and hide my fear.
     "Let me get changed, it's freezing outside." I throw a pillow at her so she'll leave faster.
    I quickly put on jeans and a sweatshirt and close my eyes. This is not going to be a fun night.
   ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
         "Why do you look so nice so late at night?" I scan her as we leave her the car and walk towards the warehouse. Her blonde pixie cut looks perfect and not messy, she's wearing makeup, a black skater dress, and a leather red jacket.
      "I wanted to look good for the spirits, unlike some people." she eyes me up and down and we both laugh.
    "That is definitely not the real reason, but we can leave it at that for now." I says and we stand in front of the boarded up doors.
   Oh god.
  "Let's try the window by the side, it might work." Catherine suggests.
  We go around the side of the building and see a window. Catherine walks up to the window and pushes it. To both our surprise, the window opens up. Just like that.
   "You first." I say, and she quickly climbs in with the board in her hands. I hesitate then climb in.
   My eyes widen with shock when I see the inside. It's huge, and dark, and covered in dust. Catherine goes and tries to flick the light switch. It turns on, but just barely. It's still pretty dark but better then nothing.
    She sets up the board and motions for me to sit on the ground. I can hear my heart beating faster and faster in my chest as she tells me to put my hands on the planchette. I hesitantly do and she smiles at me.
    "What should I ask it?"
    I only shrug, because i'm too scared to speak. I mean, what if the spirits get to me? Okay, they probably won't but who knows?
   "Oh! I got it.. How am I going to die?"
   I look at her with a confused expression. Why that question out of all questions? The planchette begins to move. I know Catherine is just messing with me.
  "Stop moving it, it's not funny."
   "I'm not."
   We stare at the board, the planchette moves to C. It then moves to A, and then to R.
   "Car crash?" Catherine guesses.
   It continues moving to M, then E, and finally N. We stare at each other, silently.
    Carmen.
    Catherine then bursts out laughing, saying that it's a stupid joke.
    Two weeks later, Catherine died.
                                              -Grace :)
   

1 comment: